Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WORST. ACTION. FIGURE. EVER. #2: RITA ESCOBAR

The 1999 cinematic adaptation of the classic 1960s television series THE WILD WILD WEST is responsible for many travesties: giant mechanical spiders, that awful Will Smith song, that worse than awful Enrique Iglesisas song (Bailamos!!!) and yet another forgetable line of toys.

However the film did feature the sexy, saucy Salma Hayek in the role of Rita Escobar.  And unlike the way things usually go with female character to promotional toy crossovers... a Rita Escobar action figure was actually produced!  Sadly it was produced by the unfortunately named X-Toys (which later became N2 Toys).

Believe it or not back in 1999 Rita was highly sought among collectors, at least until the film actually came out.  However the toys hit store shelves around April or May and the film wasn't released until July... allowing for a lot of antici - - pation.

I managed to stumble across one of these poorly sculpted wonders during one of my regular TOYS R US visits.  I paid a whopping 4.99 for it and turned it around for a tidy $30 profit on the ol' bay of E. 

It looks like X-TOYS could have taken a few tips from the folks at TOY ISLAND.  Since I bought her solely to turn around and sell her online I did not open her, so I can't be 100% certain, but it looks like Ms. Escobar has less articulation then one of those little green army men.  Add that to the part where she looks like a candidate for the NFL draft.


Sweet Crap Almighty! They didn't even do the DRESS justice!


It's like they were separated at birth!
I recall the guy who bought it from me was very enthusiastic. I wonder how long it took for that case of buyer's remorse to kick in?

3 comments:

Stan Hai said...

Ha ha ! She does look like a starting linebacker.

X said...

Worst execution ever. Makes me wonder how much worse a talking version would be since Salma has one of the most annoying voices ever... at least in English, anyway.

Little Weirdos said...

Confession: I was all about trying to find this figure when it came out. I think I went as far as to order it online from a guy in Singapore, before they began showing up in the U.S. I have a soft spot for misfit toys, so she remains in my collection to this day. Her legs are actually articulated, which adds nothing at all since the dress is a block of hard plastic. Reminds me of a figure that might have come out in the '80s, when they were still figuring out how to sculpt a female figure that looked like a female.