Saturday, June 11, 2011

I'M FEELING HAIRY and MY TEETH are MEAN... I'VE GOT A WEIRD COMPLEXION and I want to SCREEEAAAM!!!

When I heard that Mtv was planning to update the 80s classic film Teen Wolf I was... skeptical at best, at worst I figured they were just gonna Twilight it up and it would in NO WAY resemble the source material.

Then when I saw the first promo for the Mtv show I was a tad disappointed to learn that unlike TW85, the new TW2011 is not born into a bloodline of wolf folk, but is instead infected with lycanthropy by another wolf man in the first episode.  

As for similarities we still get a Scott and a Stiles, but alas no Boof.  NO BOOF!!? There was what I consider to be a pretty clever reference to the original film while Styles is doing some were-search he stumbles across a picture of a wolfman dressed in Civil War garb. 

This is the ONLY picture I could seem to find online that referenced the Civil War costume from the original movie.  Oh, well...


That's another BIG difference with TW2011, when he uh - "Wolfs Out" ... things don't get quite as hairy as they did with TW85.  The 21st Century take on teen wolf is a lot more monster than mop.

Mtv's take on Teen Wolf isn't exactly the campy comedy of TW85.  There are plenty of laughs, but the show is also fuel injected with plenty of teen angst.  It doesn't help that the father Scott's girlfriend likes to hunt werewolves in his spare time. 

After Scott is bitten, he finds he no longer needs his asthma inhaler.  An almost Peter Parker like journey from NERD to KNOCKOUT.  The show almost has a comic book-y, superhero vibe: secret identities, mysterious allies and enemies, super strength and other powers.

One thing I definitely must applaud are the effects on this Teen Wolf series (so far).  Even though I was a tremendous fan of the Buffy the Vampire tv series, I am the first to admit that a lot of time the effects weren't so special.   Buffy particularly had trouble keeping a consistant look to their werewolves, which is something that still bugs me to this day.

I dug the first two episodes of TEEN WOLF.  I felt the show was much closer in tone to Buffy than to Twilight or even The Vampire Diaries.  Perhaps watching the rest of the season will change my mind, but for now I am very intrigued by where it's going.


What do you mean there already was a TEEN WOLF television show?

4 comments:

Don said...

I'm not familiar with the new show at all so I'll have to give it a shot. Teen Wolf was required viewing at my house in the late 80's/early 90's. With most things like this I tend to go in very critical and not expecting too much, so it sounds like I might be pleasantly surprised.

PLANET BIERWAGEN said...

Well... I was really ready to NOT like it. I was quite surprised. It's only been on for a week - they showed 2 episodes last week (Sunday and Monday) and I've noticed they're running the hell out of 'em. New episodes air on Mondays. I think Mtv is really trying to break away from crap like Jersey Shore and Teen Mom.

BJCHESTER said...

If I recall correctly, there was a tv series called, Big Wolf On Campus that aired on The Family Channel a few years back. The premise was essentially the same.

PLANET BIERWAGEN said...

HaHa... I remember seeing commercial for BWoC... while the premise may be the same somehow I doubt the tone is real similar to TW2011.