Thursday, June 16, 2011

I just can't believe you believe those urban legends, but I have high hopes that someone will point you toward Snopes and debunk that crazy junk you're spewing constantly!

Welcome to PART 2 of my track-by-track review of "Weird Al" Yankovic's 13th studio album ALPOCALYPSE!

Hellz Yeah!

7. PARTY IN THE CIA (Parody of Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA")  Ah-Ha! It's the new theme song for the USA network tv series COVERT AFFAIRS.  Okay, maybe not, I was probably just looking for an excuse to post a picture of a sexy, pouty lipped CIA operative.  

CIA is like the field report of a "wild & crazy" covert agent: Burn that microfilm buddy, will you, I'd tell you why but then I'd have to kill you! You need a quickie confession? Well, start a waterboarding session!  SONG GRADE: B-

8. RINGTONE - Yet another track from the "Internet Leaks".  This "style parody" is a homage to one of the greatest, most innovative rock bands ever - QUEEN!  This epic tune, done in the grandiose style of "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a mini  rock opera about an embarassing ringtone.  Cuz, hey, who wants to waste $1.99?  SONG GRADE: B

9. ANOTHER TATTOO (Parody of "Nothin' On You" by B.o.B and Bruno Mars) This is the part of the review where I start to feel really, really OLD.  As I am completely UNFAMILIAR with the original song.  However I do know that Bruno Mars is the Douchebag Songsmith Supreme. Unfortunately this song is not about a diminutive actor hoping to land a role in the upcoming big screen adaptation of FANTASY ISLAND.  Fantasy Island? See, I told you that I was old.  The song is actually done from the POV of an ink covered individual who is running out of space on his body to etch anything else, and he does not regret any of the silly, misspelled tattoos (some of which he got on a bet) that he already has including: Clay Aiken, a side of bacon and a clarinet playing Boba Fett. SONG GRADE: B-

10. IF THAT ISN'T LOVE Al has a long history of demented love songs: One More Minute, Melanie, You Don't Love Me Anymore, Good Old Days, and Good Enough For Now to name a few.  If That Isn't Love is another entry into that category.  A style parody of Hanson, featuring Hanson's Taylor Hanson on piano.  The central character here has some strange ideas about the meaning of love. "Even though you made me sit through MAMA MIA, I still adore you.  I totally support every idiotic thing you do, and I almost never pretend your someone else when I'm making out with you". I don't know if I should laugh or cry because I know so many guys who would NOT get that this song is not meant to be some sort of dating advice column set to music.  SONG GRADE: B

11. WHATEVER YOU LIKE (Parody of "Whatever You Like" by T.I.) Yet another time where I feel like my grandpa yelling at the radio, because I'd never heard the original before the release of Al's take on the song.   Personally, I usually like it MORE when Al parodies songs that I like or even love. Not that I don't find any joy in his versions of songs I've never heard or despise.  This was the first of the "Internet Leaks" tracks to be released, according to Al it went from concept to downloadable content in the space of about 2 weeks. That is fantastic use of the avaialble technology IMHO.  "Whatever" parodies the hip hop staple of a guy promising his gal whatever she wants... in these difficult financial times.   "Yeah you like Top Ramen? Need Top Ramen? I've got a cupboard full of 'em.  I'll keep 'em coming". It's like if Mtv's CRIBS did a follow up on some of these rap guys who blow the proceeds from their first album on gold plated everythingSONG GRADE: B

12. STOP FORWARDING THAT CRAP TO ME This is probably my favorite track on ALPOCALYPSE (note: the title of this blog entry is taken from the lyrics), not only because it is a style parody of a Jim Steinman scribed Meat Loaf tune, but because it is also so damn spot on. "You pass around a link to some dumb thing on youtube everyone else saw three years ago... please stop forwarding that crap to me."  SONG GRADE: A+ 

I'm sure to a few of you that some of my criticisms may seem harsh, especially after claiming that I love Weird Al.  I do love Al and I suppose my disapointment, in part at least, is thanks to the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.  He's been a constant influence to me, a genius who has outlasted many of the acts he's parodied so well for over nearly 3 decades.  Coolio anyone? 

It must be increasingly difficult to find worthy parody fodder.  A popular song doesn't have the life it used to.  These days "15 minutes of fame" isn't much of an exaggeration.  That's why I had such high hopes when Al started toying with digital distribution.  Wow! Instant gratification much?

I also loathe when other comedians seem to look down on what Al does as some "lower form" of comedy.  Like their tired material about growing up fill in the ethnicity was so hard is such advanced, highbrow comedy.  I'm looking at you George Lopez!  There aren't many comedy albums that have moved as many units as Al's records.  And there certainly aren't as many with as high of a replay value.  Used CD shops everywhere are using Dane Cook's 2005 Retaliation album for drink coasters, book markers, and skeet shooting targets.
______________________________________

No comments: