Sunday, July 17, 2011

WE'RE #1 (or #2?)!


Just looking over my comic book order for SEPTEMBER 2011 I see I have requested EIGHTEEN books that are kicking off with issue ONE! Most of this is due to the relaunch/reboot/recycling of the DC Comics' Universe... in which the month of September will see 52 brand spanking new #1 issues.

However there are some other noteworthy #1 releases that are not being released by the folks at DC. I thought that I might direct your atttention towards a few of them.

In September DARK HORSE kicks off season 9 of it's BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER comic book. Season 8 ran for 40 issues, will season 9 be equal in length? Only creator Joss Whedon probably knows for certain. Prior to season 9's launch in September, August sees the debut of ANGEL & FAITH #1... and you may be surprised to learn that this Buffy-verse spinoff is an ongoing series. Huh. Who saw that one coming?  

Not this Slayer fan that's for sure. However I am highly pleased that the entire crew of the Buffy-verse is back under one publisher.   Hopefully the stories will be good enough to erase some of the memories of IDW's ANGEL season 6.  WTF was up with that goldfish, anyway?

Who ya gonna call in September?  That's right... it is finally here, the debut of an ongoing GHOSTBUSTERS comic book series from the folks at IDW.

With GB fan favorite artist Dan Schoening handling the interiors, and at least one of the slew of variant covers that will be available for each issue.  IDW has announced that each issue will feature a "classic album" variant cover by artist Nick Runge.  Issue 1 is an homage to KISS.  Issue 2 features the GBs walking down Abbey Road.  And issue 3 pays tribute to the cover of Queen's second album QUEEN II, an image also later made famous in their Bohemian Rhapsody video. 

The series is being written by Erik Burnham, who did an excellent job on the GHOSTBUSTERS part of IDW's multi-title event - INFESTATION.

As I've written and vlogged before, the GHOSTBUSTERS comics so far, have been hit or miss for me.   If you can find 'em... track down the "Legion" four issue GB mini-series from 88MPH Studios.  And IDWs "Displaced Agression" four parter is pretty decent too.

The monthly GB comic will also include regular backup material, in the form of case files being reviewed by Walter "Dickless" Peck. 

The success of a book like GHOSTBUSTERS depends highly on sales, particularly pre-sales, so I encourage you to find your nearest comic book shop and pre-order your monthly GHOSTBUSTERS fix.  Perhaps one of each cover... just to make it safe.

IDW is also launching (tee hee) a new ongoing STAR TREK comic in September.  This monthly series is set in the continuity of the 2009 film and will take a look at the new Enterprise crew as they embark on missions that re-imagine stories from the original tv series.  

Along with GHOSTBUSTERS and STAR TREK... IDW is introducing a new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES
comic.  Issue 1 actually hits in August, with issue 2 scheduled for September.  Original TMNT creator Kevin Eastman is co-writing the series.  In addition to these new TMNT adventures, IDW will also be reprinting many of the hard to find original TMNT books into collectible hardcovers.  RADICAL!

Sheesh! Is nothing sacred?!
Naturally my order form also includes many  (ELEVEN) of the relaunched DC titles.  As a comic book nerd I can't help it.  You've got to admit it'll be kind of cool to have NEW #1 issues of books like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.   However I am kind of disappointed that the new costume designs mean the demise of Superman's little red undies.
 
I know most fanboys hate the red "outer shorts", ehhh... but I've always kind of liked them, of course a lot of fanboys just outright hate Superman... come to think of it, too many of them seem to focus on the crimson britches. 
 
Though I have a feeling with a new SUPERMAN movie scheduled for theatres for the Holiday 2012 season... Superman's "classic" look won't remain gone for long. 
 
I've been reading comics for about 33 of my 36 years.  This "reset" or similar gimmicks have been done before... only for everything to go back to the way it was... eventually.  Let's call it... THE NEW COKE EFFECT.   I must say that I have been rather amused by some of the outrage and breakdowns this event has caused for some of the geek community.  I wish I could sit them down and tell them to relax... afterall...  It's just comics man!
_____________________________________

1 comment:

williammellin said...

I am really looking forward to the Ghostbusters and TMNT series and both are on my pull list. I was debating whether to wait for the trade, but I don't want to miss these. Cool blog.