Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Seven Year Itch

Well... I auditioned for "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol" at Venture. I didn't get cast. Naturally. At this point I'm pretty certain I'll never get cast in anything... at least until someone comes up with another twitchy, moaning mental patient role.

Ah well, after reading the book I think they made a mistake not doing the classic Dickens version of "Carol". It is afterall one of my favorite stories of all time. Or they could do my version... Twas the Night Before a Wonderful Christmas Carol on 34th Street.

Recently my station has started offering a weekly poll for viewers to vote for which NFL weekend games they'd like us to air.

Great idea, right?

I thought so too... when I thought of it like THREE FUCKING YEARS AGO!

*sigh* And I don't even like football.

Earlier this week it was brought to my attention that my 7 YEAR ANNIVERSARY at the station has come and gone. Ugh! What a fucking nightmare.

Recently I had a (albeit brief) flash of confidence and I sat down with a list of the schedules and shows available for both stations and I came up with my own ideas to improve upon our current "monkey with a dart board" daily lineup(s). I was so confident in the results I came up with that I forwarded them to our general manager along with some promotional ideas I also had .

Friday morning I spoke with our GM about the material I sent him. And he said that I had some "great ideas". However he also said that our current program directors does a "very good job".

Whaa--!? NO. SHE DOESN'T! That was part of my reasoning for sitting down and trying to figure out how it could be done BETTER!

My conversation with the GM ended with him telling me "Small market television is not the place to get rich." WTF!? I wasn't trying to get rich! I was trying to add something to my resume besides "button pushing monkey". I was attempting to turn our station into something besides the punchline it is to many local viewers.

I am so fucking sick of going to a job that makes me feel like coming home and simultaneously sticking my head in the oven and slashing my wrists while OD-ing on illegal narcotics.

I'm tired of giving 110% at everything and feeling nothing but pissed on... Oooh and FUDDBUCKS!

Last weekend when the station was in a constant state of CLUSTERFUCKDOM... due to the first blizzard of the year... there was an attempt to soothe my frustration with the suggestion that there might be more Fuddbucks in it for me.

Y'know I actually attempted to use some of my Fuddbucks a while back. Unfortunately I was at Rimrock Mall and the the F'bucks are only good at the Overland Ave. location. Hmmmmph... some bonus.



"Where's my golden shower?" Does Michael Scott know how to throw a baby shower or what? Last night's episode of The Office was another classic... an awkward, awkward classic. The last scene with Jim and Pam's phone messages was kind of cheesy... but I loved it.



This week TWO different Ghostbusters comics were released. The first in what may be a series of manga graphic novels from Tokyopop. And issue one of IDW's 4-issue mini series. Ghostbusters: The Other Side.

To be honest I was more interested in the "traditional" IDW series than the manga book. However after having read them both... it kind of saddens me to say that the manga was better than the IDW series.

Tokyopop's Ghostbusters: Ghost Busted. Was funny and charming, but now without it's flaws. However you can tell it was created by people who love Ghostbusters.

IDW's Ghostbusters: The Other Side is terrible. It's like rancid fan fiction. In fact I'm pretty sure there is a lot better GB fanfic out there somewhere on the internets. I'm also pretty sure that there are a couple of big name comic book creators who would do a Ghostbusters comic for FREE! Instead we get this... P.O.S.

I actually began to worry about The Other Side back in July when I read an interview with the guy who wrote it - Keith Champagne. He really didn't seem to be that big of a fan of the source material, not that you'd have to be a GIANT 'bustin fanboy to write a decent Ghostbusters tale... but this guy just didn't seem to get Ghostbusters.

The Other Side pits the Ghostbusters against a group of Ghost Mobsters. The end result is lukewarm at best.

I'd pull some examples of horrible dialogue/script issues for you guys... but I've already passed the issue on to a friend to see if he thinks it's a god awful as I do, or if I'm just being too much of a geeky fanboy.



Not to mention the Ghostbusters have already fought Ghost Gangsters... Twenty years ago (Yipes!) is issue 7 of The Real Ghostbusters comic book series.

This makes me ponder if there's anyway someone could revive the RGB property in comic book form!? Why can't they use the eternally young versions of the boys to keep telling stories for years? It wouldn't be any different then all of those seemingly ageless guys in tights and capes who have been around for sixty and seventy years.

No comments: